Having trouble watching this video? Click here if the video isn't loading.
Show full transcript for Who prescribes auto injectors? video

If you need an auto-injector, then your doctor will prescribe one to you. Auto-injectors are a prescription-only medicine, POM. This means that a doctor will prescribe them once he knows you need it. You are not going to be in a situation where you need to buy an auto-injector just in case or because you have a child you are caring for. The prescription is given to the individual. So the individual has a prescription, they would take it on to their pharmacist, who would prescribe and hand over the drug. So, any individual person would have the drug for themselves.

Maybe you are working in the school or a college, and you have got a few children who actually suffer from anaphylaxis. They would have their own drug that's been prescribed to them. One child may have one size of the drug, maybe they're less than 30 kilos, another one's over 30 kilos. Or maybe one child's got a Jext system, another one might have an EpiPen or an Anapen. So we need to look at the drug for that particular person. It's very important that we ensure that the correct dose and unit has been given to that child.

For example, if you had someone who you suspect is having an anaphylactic reaction, yet, you didn't know anything about it and they carry no drug and they've never been prescribed a drug, don't just take another child's auto-injector and inject that person. you are just not allowed to do that. So every drug is aimed towards that particular person. Also, within the looking after children side, or any other side, you may well have a duty of care. But again, this would be notified to you by your employers or by the parents. And they maybe will give you permission to actually deliver that drug to that particular child.

The doctor is involved in actually deciding which drug you'll actually be given. What he's going to look at is the actual problem you have got, what you are allergic to, previous problems, the effectiveness of previous drugs, and also the lifestyle. So you are going to need to keep going back to the doctor to make sure that you have the correct treatment for your condition. If you need any advice on this, contact your doctor surgeries, there maybe will be that the practice nurse there can help you as well.

The pharmacist is the person who'd actually hand over the drug to you. They can be very helpful to you as well. They can give you advice on the units, they can tell you about storage. They can also dispose of medicines for you as well if you have got some expired drugs you want to get rid of. So there's load and loads of help out there for you. Just ask. Talk to your doctors, talk to your pharmacists, and talk to anybody else within the likes of the charities we discussed earlier.